Tuesday

[spinning] Ashford Traveller

I was notified by my bf's mom that there was a bunch of spinning stuff at a family member's garage sale. I tend to avoid garage and yard sales because I don't want to buy other people's used garbage. Harsh, I know, but I don't really like used stuff. Or rather, most used stuff. I can make an exception when I find a $500 spinning wheel for $65:

Ashford Traveller Spinning Wheel


I brought it home and asked my sister if she wanted it. She said yes and we set to work fixing a wonky leg. I dusted it off, oiled it and got to spinning 4oz of natural brown Jacob wool. I'm not used to the single treadle (my Kromski is a double treadle), so I spun thick and quick. Here's the bulky plied wool I spun on this wheel:

Brown Bulky wool


It's an Ashford Traveller and it's a good wheel. It would have been a bargain and twice the price.

All the accoutrements I also purchased at the garage sale:

Spinning Supplies


From left to right: wool comb, lazy kate and 4 bobbins (this was $2), green drop spindle (with pretty butterflies on it), light wooden Louet drop spindle, small niddy noddy, large niddy noddy (this one's for Shelby), hand carders (these are a little dirty but the teeth are good and they were a steal at $10).

I went back to the garage sale the next day and bought all the knitting patterns.

3 comments:

gayle said...

Holy cow!
That really raises the bar for Best Garage Sale Ever...

My best garage sale score was a stack of quilting hoops for 50 cents each. You just left me in the dust!

countryelvis4 said...

Holy cow indeed! I've been searching for that yard sale for years :) If you ever come across another wheel at bargain prices, please, please, please let me know.

Joansie said...

Oh my gosh! What a deal! I'm so envious. I was excited to get my wheel on Craigslist but it wasn't anywhere as much of a bargain as what you found. It's all about being at the right place at the right time! Enjoy!