Saturday

[knitting] Scalloped Tam

The blocked tam:

Scalloped Tam


Scalloped Tam


Pattern: Scalloped Lace Beret

Yarn: Classic Elite Miracle (I do not recommend this yarn. It's too splitty)

Needles: US 4 (ribbing), US 7 (hat body)

Mods: None.

This was a test run of the pattern (using yarn given to me ages ago by my sister) to see if there would be anything I would want to change if I knit it again. I followed the pattern to a T and when I was done, it was hat-like, not tam-like. But the pattern said that this might be the case and blocking would sort it out.

So I threaded some sock yarn onto a needle and passed it under every knit stitch on the last row of ribbing, leaving lots of extra yarn at the beginning and end. I gave the hat a bath, rolled out the excess water, put a large dinner plate inside and CINCHED the sock yarn tight and tied a bow. This sufficiently opened up the lace pattern of the tam. Then I just waited for it to dry.

I like it. It's just the right size with just the right amount of drape (the alpaca and tencel content of the yarn). This one is going to my mom for Christmas. And I might make another one for myself.

No comments: