Thursday

[knitting] Secret Pal 5

1. Are you a yarn snob (do you prefer higher quality and/or natural fibers)? Do you avoid Red Heart and Lion Brand? Or is it all the same to you?

I tend to avoid Red Heart. Lion Brand has got some new, okay-looking yarns. I'm not against acrylic- I used a Patons Divine to make my lattice stole. But I'm not a complete yarn snob either. I've used Rowan for a project but the poncho ended up costing me close to $100 to make. I think there are plenty of places to get nice yarn at reasonable prices.

2. Do you spin? Crochet?

I'd like to learn how to spin, but I've never done it. I specifically want to learn how to spin cat fur. And I do crochet, although not nearly as much as I knit.

3. Do you have any allergies? (smoke, pets, fibers, perfume, etc.)

Nope, nope, no, nope... But if you plan on sending me tropical fruit, I won't be able to eat it, because I am allergic to that. No mangos, no pinapples. I'm serious here- I might die!

4. How long have you been knitting?

Just over a year now.

5. Do you have an Amazon or other online wish list?

Yesh.

6. What's your favorite scent? (for candles, bath products etc.)

Rose. Patchouli.

7. Do you have a sweet tooth?

Only when I'm PMSing. So... No, I don't. But I do have a salty tooth.

8. What other crafts or Do-It-Yourself things do you like to do?

I'm ordering a few books from Amazon on how to sew, bead and embroider. I'd like to learn how to do those things.

9. What kind of music do you like? Can your computer/stereo play MP3s? (if your buddy wants to make you a CD)

Electronica: Air, Chemical Brothers, Crystal Method, Daft Punk, Death in Vegas, Fluke, Groove Armada, Massive Attack, Nightmares on Wax, Underworld.

10. What's your favorite color? Or--do you have a color family/season/palette you prefer? Any colors you just can't stand?

I like all colors but I really like pink. And light blue. And black. And cream. And brown. Let's just say "all colors" and be done with it.

11. What is your family situation? Do you have any pets?

Single, living by myself. I have no pets but I love cats and am hoping to get one or two hundred someday.

12. What are your life dreams? (really stretching it here, I know)

Bring out the trash, do the dishes, become invincible, take over the world, rule with an iron fist, etc etc...

13. What is/are your favorite yarn/s to knit with?

Really nice, soft wool.

14. What fibers do you absolutely *not* like?

Scratchy wool.

15. What is/are your current knitting obsession/s?

Shawls and shrugs. Also, I'd like to knit more things for my home (e.g. pillow covers, throw blankets, etc)

16. What is/are your favorite item/s to knit?

Anything I don't have to seam. So that pretty much leaves scarves. Pattern-wise, I love knitting lace.

17. What are you knitting right now?

The Flower Power Shrug with beads from Interweave Knits.

18. What do you think about ponchos?

I made one. I have have no problem with them. People are taking this whole poncho craze a little too far. It's just a fad. If you like it, there are a million different patterns for you to choose from. If you don't like it, it'll go away eventually.

19. Do you prefer straight or circular needles?

I knit on circulars almost exclusively now.

20. Bamboo, aluminum, plastic?

Bamboo. I can't knit on aluminum needles because I can't stand the scratching of one aluminum needle against another. It's like nails down a chalkboard for me. Or chewing on tin-foil. Or having my leg ripped off and being beaten over the head with it.

Having said that, I've never tried Addi Turbos. Those are meant to be the holy grail of knitting needles, right? And I've wanted to try the Crystal Palace Daisy needles because they're so fun looking.

21. Are you a sock knitter?

Yes. I've done one pair of ankle socks and one (singular) self-striping, pink sock. I have about 5 balls of sock yarn laying around, waiting to be knit with but I honesly find knitting socks to be tedious.

22. How did you learn to knit?

My sister picked up Stitch 'N Bitch last year. She learned the basics and showed me how to knit and purl. Everything else I've learned from books. And from a particularly helpful lady at my local yarn store.

23. How old is your oldest UFO?

When did I start knitting? I remember making a mitten last summer and I never made it's mate.

24. What is your favorite animated character or a favorite animal/bird?

A ligra. It's only like my most favorite animal!

25. What is your favorite holiday?

Christmas. And Halloween. And my birthday.

26. Is there anything that you collect?

Besides dead bodies? Knives.

27. What knitting magazine subscriptions do you have?

No subscriptions but I often pick up Vogue Knitting, Interweave Knits and K2.

28. Any books out there you are dying to get your hands on?

Are you sure you want to ask me that question?

No comments: