Sunday

[amy] Dashing through the- AAGGH!

I sprained my ankle on Christmas Eve. Really bad. I've got to wear an air cast for four weeks. How did I do it? Well, I was at my mother's place and saw the FedEx guy drop off a big box. Thinking I'd do something nice for my mother, I went outside to bring it around to the back door. Because the box was so big and heavy, it was in my way of seeing where the edge of the paved driveway ended and I rolled my left ankle. I don't remember exactly what happened, but I was in a extraordinary amount of pain, looking at the big box on the ground next to me, wondering if I'd still be able to get it around to the back door.

Have you ever seen the movie Go? You know that part when Ronna gets hit by a car in the rave parking lot; then her body is dumped off the car into a wet ravine and she's laying down there, shaking? Yeah well imagine that the car hit me in the ankle (it's not a very tall car) and then I'm laying in my mother's driveway, wondering why neighbors aren't running toward me to help.

I hobble inside, get some ice on my ankle and try calling my sister. My mother was out shopping at the time and Richard was home but he's, like, a million years old and wouldn't have been any help in this situation. My sister doesn't answer the phone and I'm sitting on the couch watching a baseball grow on the outside of my left ankle. "Ooohhh, ooohhh, ooohhh," I keep repeating to myself. I look over at Richard- he smiles and says, "Happy New Year." Great. The phone rings and it's Barbara. I tell her to come down, I sprained my ankle- maybe worse. She arrives just as my mother gets back and they both tell me I need to go to the emergency room. It's not that bad, I say, it doesn't hurt so much anymore.

Well, long story short, Barbara thanks me for ruining Christmas (she tried thinking of the most selfish thing she could say and it was particularly funny after two hours of mind-numbing waiting), I get x-rayed, nothing looks broken and the doctor gives me an air cast to wear for three weeks. I also watch a tape he gave me entitled "How to Take Care of Your Sprained Ankle" (which features lots of legs jump roping, dancing and doing numerous other things which, as a person with a sprained ankle, I won't be able to do for ages and only made me feel more depressed). Back at home, I get a call from the doctor telling that he's just noticed a sliver of bone on the inside of my injured ankle, which was why I was so tender there, and if it doesn't get better in a week, I should go see an ortho-special-whatever and have my foot amputated. Oh, and I should wear the air cast for an extra week as well.

Currently, my foot is all black and I'm sure it's going to fall off. The good news is that it only hurts a little but I wish it hurt more because the pain was quite exhilarating.

So, yeah, that was Christmas Eve. Christmas was fun. I knit my mother a scarf and my sister a poncho. I can talk about the poncho now. I was not mentioning it and/or posting pictures of it for fear that my sister might see it. But she was happy with it and couldn't believe I knit it. She didn't knit anything for me (due to her City of Heroes addiction) but her and Jason got me wicked nice speakers for my iPod so now I have a proper portable stereo that still produces awesome sound quality. And it's the size of a hardcover book. I love electronics.

No comments: