Tuesday

[videogames] Halo 2: The Reckoning

This past Saturday I spent 8 hours playing Halo 2 with some new people- I can't remember all their human names but I am sure of all their screen names. Ken posts about it here. I didn't do too well the first game because I wasn't used to having my TV all to myself- it was kind of large and kind of freaking me out. But then I started kicking ass. Then, as the day progressed into night, my play got worse and worse. All in all, it was loads of fun. And I liked trying out new games, as opposed to just playing team slayer.

It’s worth mentioning that after playing Halo for so long with my regular crew, it was a bit of culture shock playing with guys who have their own customs. Here are a few differences.

* * *

Old Crew: Play team slayer until 25 kills.

New Crew: Play team slayer until 50 kills.

Initial Reaction: Fuck! This is going to take fucking forever!

Result: This actually is a better way to play for two reasons: (a) You’re on the level for much longer. Going for only 25 kills means you’re done with the level fairly quickly and after 2 hours of game play, you’ve done every level- twice. (b) The winning team will shift back and forth, thus making the game more exciting. With 25 kills, the leading team is usually going to be the winning team.

* * *

Old Crew: Motion Sensor off

New Crew: Want the gaydar and will bitch until they get it turned back on.

Initial Reaction: Babies.

Result: I don’t like having it on because I never use it. When it is on, I forget to use it. So… If I’m not using it, that means no one else can. Plus, it’s just more exciting to not know where people are.

* * *

Old Crew: 3-4 people per TV

New Crew: Refuse to have any more than 2 people per TV.

Initial Reaction: You do know you can play 4 people to an Xbox, yeah?

Result: Maybe they just don’t want to play on 1/4 of a TV screen because it would be too small? But hey, I learned Halo on 1/4 of a TV screen and I think it makes you a stronger player. Like, how your granddad would have walked to school in the middle of winter, barefoot, with only a baked potato in his pocket to keep his hands warm and stomach full for the rest of the week? It’s called hardship. Or poverty. Hardship or poverty. Either way, it makes you stronger.

* * *

No comments: