Wednesday

[knitting] Baby Surprise Bolero

I've wanted to knit Elizabeth Zimmerman's Baby Surprise Jacket for ages. Now that I have a niece, the time has come.

Baby Surprise Bolero


But it's more of a bolero than jacket. I used my own handspun and quickly ran out of yarn. I stopped after all the increases but before you start working back-and-forth across the middle 90 stitches. This made a nice little cropped cardigan that can be folded and seamed along the sleeves. Since the yarn is DK-weight and it was knit on size 6 needles, this is large enough for a one-year-old.

The instructions were good, if a little... wordy. I haven't knit an EZ pattern in ages and I've forgotten how chatty she could be. I prefer the 'pithy' version of instruction. I spent way too much time trying to decipher what she meant a couple times.

So this will be saved until the niece is older- back to the drawing board (or, yarn basket) to to find yarn/needles to knit a smaller one.

The yarn is a superwash merino and tencel that I spun back in 2009.

No comments: