Wednesday

[knitting] Strelisias

I fell in love with a hat on Ravelry. The pattern is called Strelisia and is in Russian only. But there was a chart and I thought I could figure things out. After asking a couple questions in one of the Russian groups in the forums, I gave it a go:

grey hat

The hat has interesting texture and movement from the combination of purled sections and knit sections that slant this way or that way. As written, pattern calls for two colors of yarn- which I think helps accentuate the 'swirliness' of the design. The yarn I used for this was self-striping sock yarn but the tonal colorway was just too subtle. 

Also, this hat is crazy small. I used sock yarn and US 2 needles and I think I'm going to have to give this to Dollar's 6-year-old niece.

I tried again, this time with a rainbow colorway of Revel by Plymouth Yarn and I worked the body on US 4 needles:

rainbow hat

Yeah... it's brighter and fits better... And I was able to knit the entire hat with one 50gr ball but... I'm not in love-love. I would like to revisit the pattern again someday- knit even looser with a longer brim and yarn that has even color repetitions. I think once I get it just the way I want it, it could be one of my most favorite hats.

And in case you want to make one, there is an English version of this pattern called Madreselva. When I went asking for help and translations in the Russian group, I didn't check the designers other patterns first. (Oops.) Had I seen this, I would have simply adapted this pattern for fingering weight yarn rather than the DK weight it's written for.

No comments: