Thursday

[cooking] Romanesco

Picked up my last CSA (Community Supported Agriculture) share of the year and was pleased be able to try Romanesco broccoli for the first time.

Last CSA share pickup of the year. Got a head of romanesco cauliflower. Not sure if we should eat it or smoke it.


I cut it up into individual buds and roasted it, which tasted nice but really dulled the color. If I get to try this again, I would probably leave it raw a salad.

Overall, I enjoyed having the CSA this year. In case you don't know how it works, you pay up-front for a season's worth of vegetables. I purchased a small share (since there's only two of us) but you can get a medium or large share depending on how large your family is. Then every week you pick up your vegetables. I received six solid months of veggies including many things I haven't seen before. A head of heirloom lettuce with leaves that looked like long oak leaves. Garlic scapes galore. Kholrabi. Celery Root. Romanesco. It also forced me to regularly cook with things that I wouldn't normally buy from the grocery store- kale, chard, eggplant, tomatillos. Plus, there's always familiar stuff like potatoes, carrots, tomatoes, herbs and lettuces, onions, garlic, peppers, fennel, squash, cucumbers, etc etc etc. Since I was picking up my shares every week right from the farm, I was usually able to pick up a dozen eggs as well. I'll definitely get another share next year.

5 comments:

Rebecca said...

Do you mind sharing what farm you were with? We'd like a CSA and are also a 2-person household, but the ones I've seen don't have "size" options.

amy said...

Sure- the farm I purchased from is Luna Bleu: http://lunableufarm.org/ The farm is not far from where I live, so I would go there to pick-up. For an extra fee (for gas and handling), they will bring your share to any number of other weekly locations- The co-op in WRJ, or Farmer's Markets in Norwich, Lebanon, Hanover, etc.

If you'd like to see other options that you may not have heard about near you, use this search page to enter your zip code and then from the "Business/Service" pulldown menu, choose "CSA/farmshare." You may find a better option for yourself.

http://www.vitalcommunities.org/agriculture/onlineguide/advancedsrch.cfm

Hope that helps! :D

Rebecca said...

Thank you! I didn't realize Vital Communities had that list, though I probably should have guessed. I found a bunch in Hartland/WRJ/Norwich, which would all be closer, but I'm covetous of your kohlrabi - I've never seen it in a store up here. Might have to ask after it in the selection process...

Boozyknits said...

The blog Rachael eats has a good traditional Italian romanesco pasta.

amy said...

Boozyknits- Ugh, that blog and instagram makes me want to move to Italy. Now I feel like making pasta.