Monday

The Pulitzers sneak up on me every year…

The Pulitzer Prize winners will be announced April 5th at 3pm EST. Here is my guess for Fiction:

Winner:
The Namesake by Jhumpa Lahiri

Nominated:
Fortress of Solitude by Jonathan Lethem
The Time Traveler’s Wife by Audrey Niffenegger

If the winner is The Da Vinci Code, I’ll eat my hat. Don’t get me wrong, I loved the book but it’s not exactly Pulitzer material. (I don’t think Vernon God Little was Booker material, but that’s neither here nor there.) If The Da Vinci Code won, it would be like a Nora Roberts novel winning. I enjoy her books now and then as well, but it’s literary junk food. Heck, the 2002 Pulitzer board got a shitload of flack for declaring Empire Falls as the Fiction winner that year, presumably because the book isn’t high literature. I can’t imagine they’d choose The Da Vinci Code… Then again, I was wrong last year. I thought, “They won’t choose Middlesex. The subject matter is way too controversial and I don’t think the stuffy board is all that progressive.” I clearly don’t know what I’m talking about.

No comments: