Monday

The book has… no… redeeming points

A “friend” recently sent me a copy of Iian Banks’ The Wasp Factory. Because I value this friend’s opinion in the utmost, when he told me to read The Wasp Factory this past weekend, I did just that (allowing this book to jump to the front of a queue of more deserving books). I was under the impression that this book was going to be a dark comedy but after I got several dozen pages into it, I realized it was just freaky macabre filth. I mean, I just… I can’t read about adorable bunnies being blown up/shot at/set on fire. Call me a wimp, whatever. I don’t read books to induce vomiting, I read to be pleasantly entertained for a little while.

What upsets me more is that the guy who sent it to me told me the book was “hilarious.” How scared am I now?

I started a thread at ILB. Read what others have to say about the book:

I think this should sit in the teenage embarassments section. I think it's a good book but you probably need to be 15 to enjoy it.
-holojames

I didn't like it first time round and it revolted me second time.
-MikeyG

I do find it gross and disturbing…
-Caenis

I… found it… to be properly disturbing.
-NickB

…I felt… revolted…
-Øystein H-O

Okay, all right, I spliced together some of the comments to make them say what I want. I think everyone, though, came to the consensus that the book was disgusting/revolting/disturbing at parts.

Thankfully, I’ve started Lost in a Good Book by Jasper Fforde. I breathed a sigh of relief when I opened it up.

No comments: