Tuesday

[cooking] May CSA share

I signed up for a CSA (community supported agriculture) a couple years ago. They're pretty popular in Vermont- you pay for a share of a farm's harvest early in the year and then receive weekly produce throughout the summer. I didn't do it last year and missed the variety/regularity of vegetables. I signed up again this year and picked up my bonus share at the farm on Sunday:

First CSA share pickup of the season. Carrots, parsnips, beets, radish, baby bok choy, mustard greens, kale, salad greens, two bags of spinach. 😲


I was expecting some spinach, kale... just some greens. It was so much stuff: carrots, parsnips, beets, radish, baby bok choy, mustard greens, kale, salad greens, two bags of spinach.

So I got home from work Monday and got to cooking.

- peeled/sliced carrots for snacks
- blanched all the spinach (to be used in quiche)
- kale/bacon/onion/white bean stew for dinner

Not CSA related but I baked a loaf of no-knead bread to go with the stew. And simmered a pot of frozen blueberries with maple syrup and cinnamon down to a compote to mix into yogurt. Using up last year's blueberries to make room in the freezer for blueberries this year.

And the spring-dug parsnips were turned into cake:

Parsnip spice cake with ginger cream cheese frosting. Like carrot cake but with sweet spring-dug parsnips. Who knew. #parsnipcake


I know. I was looking for parsnip recipes and found this one on epicurious: Parsnip Spice Cake with Ginger Cream Cheese Frosting. All the reviews were good so I gave it a go. It was straight-forward to make and really tasty. Like carrot cake bit with shredded parsnips instead. Who knew.

I made a few minor modifications based on what I did/didn't have one hand- no walnuts, buttermilk instead of whole milk, used ground ginger rather than fresh in the frosting, used 1 1/3 cup powdered sugar in the frosting (recipe calls for 3 cups and I was like... no).

So. More to do today:

- ramp butter
- roast beets
- beet ice cream
- radish top pesto
- ham and spinach quiche

WTF. At least it's cold and rainy- so it's not like I'm missing out on gardening time outside. But all this cooking is chewing into my knitting/crochet time.

2 comments:

Hannah said...

Wow, which CSA are you doing? I never got anything but greens out the wazoo for the first month when we did a CSA. And since I am basically the only person in the family who likes greens, I got sick of them fast. But if we got a nice variety of veggies so early in the season, maybe it would be worth it to try a CSA again.

amy said...

It's from Luna Bleu: http://lunableufarm.org/our-csa/ I live close enough to go to the farm to pick-up but they deliver boxes to several locations- Hanover, Lebanon and Norwich Farmers Markets, WRJ Upper Valley Coop.