Tuesday

[crafts] Deco Mesh Wreath

I've been a bit wreath-obsessed lately. While searching and pinning various wreaths that I found online, I saw a style of wreath that I had never seen before: deco mesh wreaths. If you google "deco mesh wreath" or search Etsy for it, you'll see that it's a 'thing'. People making them, selling them for >$100. Some are really big and busy. I wanted to try making a simple one at home. I saw big spools of deco mesh at Joanne's in the fall decor section. I had to try it.

Deco Mesh Wreath

Supplies: wire wreath frame, 21" deco mesh, smaller spools of sheer fabric, fake flowers, pipe cleaners, wire cutter, scissors. The supplies cost about $20 from Joanne's craft store.

I watched a couple tutorial videos online. I cut the pipe cleaners in half with the wire cutters and twisted them onto the frame; at every cross bar along the outside ring and between every cross bar along the inside ring:

Deco Mesh Wreath

The pipe cleaners were just barely long enough for all the fabric I added. Next time I'll probably add the  full-length pipe cleaners and then snip away any extra once I'm all done.

I put down one round of mesh around the outside ring:

Deco Mesh Wreath

What surprised me the most is that the mesh feels stiff- like plastic bristles on a broom. I realized that it needs to be that way, to maintain the... floofiness of the bunches. It's not quite like wrestling an alligator to pinch together the material and tack it in place with the pipe cleaners, all the way around the frame... but it's close. 

After another round of mesh along the inside ring:

Deco Mesh Wreath

Some people go around the ring three times. I've seen pictures of other people that went around the ring twice and it looked thin and see-through. I thought it was enough, though, so I cut the mesh. 

I added the burgundy accent organza in a zig-zag fashion (inside ring, outside ring, inside ring, outside ring, etc) and then one final round around the inside ring only:

Deco Mesh Wreath

Then I snipped flowers from the bundles to add around the wreath. The flowers have wire inside the stems, so it was easy to wrap the wire around the wreath frame. And I tucked in the larger leaves here and there behind the flowers.

Deco Mesh Wreath

That's it. Only took about an hour to make. Dollar was having a Sunday afternoon nap after mowing the lawn and I had to wake the poor guy up to show him this wreath. I was all, "Look, sweetie. I made this. I made this wreath... just now..." He said it was nice but he obviously wasn't as excited as me.

I love it. The materials are very forgiving- the mesh doesn't have to be added with much precision for it to look good. I hung the wreath on the hallway closet door. This shows the colors more accurately:

Deco Mesh Wreath


1 comment:

knitkitty said...

OMG, that is cute, and I love the colors. You're really good at crafty things. I can't believe it's the first time you made this.