Tuesday

[gaming] Small World

Dollar and I have been playing the 2-player version of Small World. This is the newest game from Days of Wonder.

###

In Small World, players vie for conquest and control of a world that is simply too small to accommodate them all.

Small World is inhabited by a zany cast of characters such as dwarves, wizards, amazons, giants, orcs and even humans; who use their troops to occupy territory and conquer adjacent lands in order to push the other races off the face of the earth.

Picking the right combination from the 14 different fantasy races and 20 unique special powers, players rush to expand their empires - often at the expense of weaker neighbors. Yet they must also know when to push their own over-extended civilization into decline and ride a new one to victory!

###

The funnest part of the game is seeing which special power comes with each race. It's random, so you might have Flying Halflings and Seafaring Giants. The next game you play, there could be Flying Ghouls and Commando Giants. This adds to the re-playability of the game, I think.

Last night Stout Ratmen was a combo a player could choose and I kept saying Stout Ratmen like it was some guy's first and last name. Hello, my name is Stout Ratmen. It could happen, right?

Oh, and scoring is secret in this game until the end, when players tally up all the victory coins they've collected. The first game we played was close: 87 (him) to 85 (me). The second game was 97 (him) to 88 (me). After we revealed our scores for the 2nd game, I started digging around the couch and checking the floor for a 10 victory coin token I "must" have dropped.

I'm looking forward to playing this game with more people.

No comments: