Wednesday

[cooking] Shepherd's Pie

INGREDIENTS!

2 lbs ground lamb
1 small onion, diced
3 cloves garlic, minced
1 teaspoon thyme
3 tablespoons flour
3-4 generous dashes Worcestershire sauce
1/2 cup chicken stock
2 tablespoons tomato paste
salt & pepper

1 bag frozen corn

3-4 large potatoes
butter & milk


INSTRUCTIONS!

1. Preheat over to 375F.

2. Peel, quarter, boil potatoes.

3. Break up lamb in pan over medium-high heat and cook until JUST brown. Drain meat and set aside. Return pan to stove and reduce heat to medium. Saute the onions in a little fat for 5-7 minutes, add garlic and cook for another couple minutes.

4. Return meat to pan. Add thyme and sprinkle flour over meat. Stir and cook for a couple minutes to ensure that the flour has been absorbed evenly. Add Worcestershire sauce, chicken stock, tomato paste, salt and pepper. The meat should be saucy-looking. Add a little water or more chicken stock if it's still too dry-looking.

5. Rice or mash the cooked potatoes to smooth consistancy with butter and milk.

6. In a large casserole dish, layer meat, then corn (frozen), then potatoes. Smooth the top of the potatoes (like frosting a cake) and use a fork to drag designs into the blank canvas. I try to replicate Van Gogh's Starry Night in less than 1 minute. Drop a few thin pats of butter in top- The idea is that when the butter melts in the oven, it will spread along the little troughs you've made with the fork.

7. Bake 30 minutes uncovered.


ADDENDUM!

- I've made this recipe in the past, as is, without the addition of flour, chicken stock and tomato paste. The meat always turned out DRY and crumbly when plating up. I wanted to make it a little saucy and cohesive this time. I liked it much better this way.

- For the love of kittens this was a burp-tastic dinner. I went out drinking with friends after and I KNOW they knew it was me who was burping. Ugh, I'm sorry. Maybe it wasn't the dinner so much as the beer that was making me burp but either way, one wasn't helping the other. You've been warned.

- What's with all the Shepherd's Pie recipes online that say meat-with-peas-and-carrots and mashed potatoes on top? For me, it's always been ground beef, corn, potatoes (which is technically "Cottage Pie"). I told Dollar about the beef with peas and carrots. He said, "Ew! No, it's supposed to be beef, corn and mashed potatoes!" I know! Is it just a New England thing?

2 comments:

Angela said...

I'm not allowed to sneak in any other vegetables beside corn under the mashed potatoes, or it won't be eaten at my house.
I've seen the meat substituted for ground venison,ground turkey, and imitation ground beef (for me) but it always has corn & potatoes.

Elizabeth said...

I'm making this tonight, using ground beef simply because I could not find ground lamb and didn't have time to hit the other shop that probably would have had it. Can't wait!