Monday

[amy] Perfect weekend

Friday night Dollar and I went to see Hot Fuzz at the Nugget (how nice it was, not having to drive an hour to go to the movies). It was very funny with a few eye-covering horrific deaths/injuries.

Saturday I met with my trainer at 8 am, went home and raked the lawn a bit, then crawled back to bed to snuggle with Dollar (who hadn't even gotten up yet). Then it was time for breakfast, grocery shopping, and the 5 College's Book Sale at Lebanon High School. I got a cookbook (entirely written in various styles of calligraphy) for my sister, issues 1-15 of Vietnam Journal, Cartoons from Nicaragua: the Revolutionary Humor of Roger (I'm going to need a reference book to accompany this- just so that I can understand the political humor), a couple foodie books, The Princess and the Goblin, and (daght da da daaaaa) Knitting Around by Elizabeth Zimmerman. I saw it sitting plainly on a table and thought "Is this some kind of a joke?" ... "There's no way I could be this lucky." ... "GRAB IT, YOU FOOL!" Five dollars. FIVE DOLLARS for a book Amazon won't sell for less than twenty-eight. I slowly went through the book once, enjoying the patterns as well as all the pictures and stories from EZ's past. It comes across as a really personal knitting book.

Sunday Dollar and I went for a drive. The weather was amazing- every house I saw had people sitting outside, just enjoying the weather. I'm still having nightmares about immanent blizzards (for real, I'm seeing weather men pointing at a red arrow stretching from Canada down into New England with a snowflake icon over the Upper Valley) but it's meant to get up to 85 today. We ended up driving to South Royalton, to my grandmother's farm. We walked around the property and I pointed to the pasture where the sheep used to graze, to the brook where I used to catch frogs, salamanders and minnows, to the pond where cranes swoop in and stop to rest. It was a nice, leisurely day and capped off a perfect weekend.

4 comments:

Kristin said...

Oh the Upper Valley...I lived in Fairlee for a few years and miss it soooo much!!

Angela said...

Also planning on where your sheep will graze? And where to plant the berry bushes that will become "PYO" income?

Shelby said...

i am dying to see Hot Fuzz!!!!!!

amy said...

Yes, we walked around and said, "The berry bushes can go there, the Christmas trees can grow there, we can make some paths up to there" etc. And Dollar designated one level swath of land to be "the party central zone". Which leads me to dream that we can eventually host our own mini Bonnaroo...