Friday

[gardening] What's blooming in Mid-July

After coming back from San Diego, I had to go around and see how all the plants were doing.

The lovely dark red dwarf asiatic lilies exploded:

After a week away, time to see what's blooming.


These daylilies just won't quit. I don't know the cultivar name but I bought them at Olallie Daylily Gardens a couple years ago. The have been so long lasting, blooming since late spring.

These day lilies were the first to bloom in late spring and they're still going strong.


Common orange daylilies. These are are from my co-worker:

Orange day lilies just started.


I love these for their height- they are so tall that you can still see them through the window when you're sitting on the couch in the living room. I have some growing wild down by the brook and dug some up last year to plop here and there. I put a little bit into the wild are just outside of the mowed lawn and it flowered this year:

Dug up orange lilies by brook last year and put them in random places in the wild areas just outside the mowed yard. Will have to do more, love finding these here and there and there and here.


I think I'm going to go dig up some more and plant them here and there.

My favorite flowers this year are definitely the delphinium:

Untitled


So tall, so violet. This is a nice, thick clump that can support one another so I don't have to stake them.

#delphinium #vermont


Shasta daisies started blooming. The flowers of these are much larger than the wild oxeye daisies:

Shasta daisies starting to bloom.


Blanket flower:

Blanket flower makes up for all the rudbeckia eaten by woodchucks this year. #gaillardia #blanketflower


I said I was going to divide it this year but I didn't. I should- it would do so much better after being split into 5 or 6 pieces. The woodchucks nibbled it a bit.

My hosta corner is doing well:

#Hosta corner. #lamium in the front is looking a little... dead in the middle.


The lamium in the front is looking a little dead in the middle. I put it in last year. Not sure if I should divide it or what. A few of the small hostas are blooming now. 

Walked outside and went: "Whoa- I forgot I planted these!"

Whoa I forgot I planted these. #lilies #gardening


Yellow dwarf asiatic lilies. My asiatic collection is doing really well.

Astilbe over in the shade bed:

Fluffy #astilbe. #gardening


So pink and fluffy. 

My tiny little clematis:

My tiny #clematis. Planted last year, there was only one bloom. If it continues to grow at this rate, next year there should be... 800 flowers.


I put this in last year. I think it grew about 14 inches tall and there was one bloom. This year it's gone all the way up the 4 or 5 foot trellis with 10 blossoms. Who knows what it's going to look like next year if it keeps growing at this rate but I'm already envisioning a bigger/sturdier trellis.

Many of the sempervivium are flowering:

#sempervivium flowering.


The first balloom flower popped open in the shade bed yesterday:

Balloon flower. 🎈
 

Bee balm in the front yard, just barely started to get it's crazy bloom on:

The bee balm is only just starting to bloom at my house. 🐝


Something ate the heads off all the bee balm in the back yard. Sigh.

The wild black raspberries are ripening:

Last year, something beat me to all the ripe blackberries. Maybe this year I'll be able to collect enough to make something.
 

Something beat me to all the ripe berries last year and since these grow in and around the massive rock pile (read: woodchuck condos), I assume it's those little monsters. I found a large patch of blackberries on the other side of the lawn- maybe I'll be able to collect those instead, since they're higher off the ground.

I found this on the ground, in the shade bed:

I gotta invest in birdhouses. This is the second nest I've found on the ground this summer. ☹️


I gotta start putting up some bird houses. This is the 2nd nest I've found on the ground this summer. I assume they've fallen out of the trees after particularly bad weather.

Lastly, this guy (or gal):

Saw a painted turtle on the dirt road as we were coming home. #vermont #paintedturtle 🐢


Driving home from work, Dollar saw this on the side of our dirt road the bottom of our driveway. I stopped the car and we got out to check it out. It definitely wasn't like the snapping turtle we've seen in the past. It was smaller, smoother, more colorful.

I googled it at home and learned it was a painted turtle. Very common but this is the first time we had seen one. It was making it's way toward the brook, which eventually empties into the pond. Dollar picked it up and moved it out of the road, closer to the brook. After we drove away, we saw it continuing on it's journey.

2 comments:

Ellen Bloom said...

Your garden is SO beautiful! Vermont is so lush compared to our dry California! Happy Summer to you!

cristina said...

Your flowers are wonderful!