Friday

[knitting] Fingerless Garter Mehts

Fingerless mitts

Pattern: Garter Stitch Mitts (rav link

Yarn: Manos del Uruguay Maxima, 100% merino

Needles: US 6

Notes: I've had this yarn wound into a ball for ages and it's such a chore to find the "right" pattern for variegated yarn. I dislike color pooling, so I needed to find a pattern where the stitch count changes from row to row. Garter stitch also helps break up the colors. This pattern seemed best: it's garter stitch and you work short-rows to shape the thumb and hand. 

Meh. I made the small size and they're wicked tight. Colors still pool here and there. You must do a provisional cast-on and graft the mitt closed. Pattern is written for one mitt only so you must turn one inside out before grafting to ensure you have one for either hand. The colors actually help mask where the seam is but... meh.

I'm calling them my Winter is Coming mitts. They're kind of wintery-colored and I knit then while re-watching season 1 of Game of Thrones.

1 comment:

Mauserati Meowzebub said...

1st time visit by way of Wendy Knits.
so sad your mitts don't fit well.

I really like the coloring of your mitts: Like gemstones embedded in rock strata.

I used to be a "hates pooling" gal, too. But then I made a shrug (tapering tube which was worked flat for my body to fit, then re-tubed to reverse the taper for the other sleeve) and discovered that the sleeves both had blue and gray "God's eyes" right where my elbows fit.

Totally serendipitous and way cool. Of course, I probably would have been pissed if they'd appeared in a less fun place, say on the shoulders or near the wrists.

Anyway, now I sometimes enjoy pooling, especially when it comes out kind of S-shaped, like the stylized clouds in a traditional Japanese painting.

Suggestion: If you're really discouraged, please add to make them full mittens or maybe a flap to make them convertible mitts, and send them to afghansforAfghans, which is having a mitts and socks drive right now: (for info)
http://www.afghansforafghans.org/currentcampaign.html

PS. Your puddy's purdy.