Wednesday

[vermont] Snow Rollers

It was incredibly windy this past weekend. I was looking out into the back yard and saw small snowballs here and there. With no footprints or anything around them. I wondered if the wind was rolling snowballs, ha ha, just kidding. That's not possible. 

A little while later I went on Facebook and saw the local news outlet posting pictures coming in from all over Vermont... of snow rollers:

"A snow roller is a rare meteorological phenomenon in which large snowballs are formed naturally as chunks of snow are blown along the ground by wind, picking up material along the way, in much the same way that the large snowballs used in snowmen are made."

I read as far as "rare meteorological phenomenon" before grabbing my camera and trudging outside to take pictures. It really was the wind rolling snowballs!

Snow Rollers

Snow Rollers

Not as impressive as the ones in this report or any of these Google images, but still pretty cool.

The next day, Dollar and I went for a walk and we went up a side field in the front yard where I could see more snow rollers. I found one that was better formed. You can see the spiral shape more clearly:

Snow Roller

I've never heard of these things before, much less seen them. Crazy.

1 comment:

Patricia said...

Cool! Never knew they had a name