Thursday

[misc] Classic Rock? Yes, please.

[reading] A Wizard of Earthsea by Ursula K. LeGuin had been sitting on my bookshelves for ages but I only recently read it. I loved it. If you enjoy fantasy and well-written, full-realized other worlds (like Tolkien's Middle Earth), this should be right up your alley. The adventures of the Wizard Ged in the first book are many and take place all over Earthsea. I ordered the next two in the series and finished The Tombs of Atuan last night. This book didn't have quite as much going on as the first but I enjoyed it just as much because the story and female character were compelling. A few things that happened in the first book are explained and referenced in the second, which I liked. Onto The Farthest Shore...

[watching] I can finally use my Mac at home to access Netflix's "Watch Instantly" selections. What's even better is that we can now use our Xbox 360 to watch things through Netflix via Xbox Live. I added all kinds of random movies and shows. Seriously, I added titles like Teen Wolf, The Ice Pirates, Invasion of the Body Snatchers, etc. You know, just some kitschy stuff to pick and play. Some of the instant titles have expiration dates, so I've got to mind that.

[playing] Puerto Rico. This game is going to get a lot of play. We've had it for a while but people didn't want to play for one reason or another (it looks a lot more complicated than it really is) but we all had fun when we finally sat down and I explained the rules. Bonus: I found an official two-player variant online.

[knitting] I have a lot going on but I feel my knitting mojo waning... I'm taking the bus down to Boston and back with my sister on Saturday and that's, like, 6 solid hours of knitting time.

[spinning] I haven't sat in front of my spinning wheel for weeks :( I need to get on that. Last night I didn't feel like knitting and I was whining to Dollar, "I'm bored... I'M BORED..." like he's supposed to fix it. I should pull my wheel into the living room and do an hour every night.

[listening] I made a new Pandora station that has been playing songs like from the artist Boston. I've been listening to Boston, Def Leopard, Journey, Styx, Asia, Queen, Scorpions, ZZ Top, Heart, Foreigner, 38 Special, etc... I think I really like Journey... But if I hear someone coming, I switch it to my Jay-Z station and start rapping "Fo' shizzle my nizzle used to dribble down in V-A..."

3 comments:

kaszeta said...

Carol and I are generally good for games. We should try to revive the UV gaming club.

I still get jealous of people that have real internet connections... (I think the official motto of Wildblue should be "better than dialup!")

Mark said...

I love the Earthsea series. You should read Tehanu, which is the 4th book in the series as well. She also wrote another book named The Other Wind that takes place in Earthsea.

Shelby said...

I love Ursula LeGuin!! Good call!

Also, re: Pandora - try the Led Zeppelin station. It's full of 70's rock goodness and win.