Tuesday

[knitting] Aran Watch Cap

A week ago we were driving to a friend's house. Since the time change, it's pitch black out by 5 pm. I've only ever driven to our friend's place maybe 6 or 8 times and the last turn onto a dirt road is abrupt. I rounded a bend, was going to miss the turn, braked and cranked the wheel thinking, "I can still make the turn, I'll just end up driving on the grass a little bit." Only it wasn't grass- it was a big ditch and we went in. The car ended up practically on it's side. As we were rolling, I was sure we were going to end up upside-down. Once we stopped, I couldn't open my door; we had to climb up and out the passenger door and jump down three feet to the ground. Nose into the ditch (missing a hidden concrete block, thank goodness) and the rear right tire way in the air. 

It was a busy enough road but no cell reception. We couldn't call our friend (or anyone) and his house was still a few miles away. About a dozen cars passed us by before a truck finally stopped. It was a couple that had a tow cable and they pulled us out. My car was miraculously fine. Nothing broken, nothing sounding off, no oil/chemical smells. When I was first looking at the car in the ditch, I was like, "Great, we're going to have to get a wrecker, it's going to be thousands of dollars in work that has to be done..." After we were pulled out and continued down the dirt road (at .00003 miles per hour) with the windows open, listening... Everything seemed suspiciously fine. No maintenance lights showing on the console. Huh.

Anyway, the dude that helped us said he didn't want money but I still asked for his mailing address to send him a thank-you card. I am also knitting them a couple hats to send. This aran watch cap is one of them:

Aran Watch Cap


Love this hat and will probably make another for myself. The pattern is from Hats On. The only change I made was to decrease in pattern for the crown over 8 or so rounds, rather than 4 purl rounds as written (I just thought it would look nicer).

The other hat is done. Both have been washed and are blocking. Will probably mail them out at the end of the week.


2 comments:

Becky said...

So glad all turned out ok. Your Good Samaritans will really love and appreciate your thank you gifts!

Becky said...

So glad all turned out ok. Your Good Samaritans will really love and appreciate your thank you gifts!