Monday

[cooking] Pumpkin Pie

This Thanksgiving I'm in charge of desserts. My mom usually just buys an apple and pumpkin pie from King Arthur Flour because (a) the bakery is close, and (b) why wouldn't you? I told her I would make the pies this year. My apple pie game is pretty solid but I haven't made a pumpkin pie since the free class I took at, where else, King Arthur Flour last year. So this seemed like the perfect weekend to try again.

Pumpkin Pie


The filling I made is essentially from this recipe but I used all white sugar and no cloves or black pepper. I mixed the filling and left it in the fridge overnight.

The next day I made the pie dough and rolled it out. Poured in the filling. I cut out lots of little maple leaves from the excess dough I trimmed away and rerolled. I dotted the top of the filling with the leaves and thought, "I wonder why you never see the tops of pumpkin pies decorated? I wonder if this is a bad idea." But it baked up fine. Very pretty, in fact.

I think when I make this again for Thanksgiving, I will include a little bit of ground cloves and black pepper for extra spice.

No comments: