Tuesday

[misc] How much wood would a woodchuck chuck...



woodchuck

We have a huge woodchuck living around the house. We've been calling him Fat Bastard. We usually only seem him hustling across the yard to the rock pile once we start to come up the driveway. Turns out Fat Bastard is actually female and she had two pups. They live in the rock wall around the house. The other morning I was late to work because I couldn't stop watching Fat Bastard (yes, I'm still going to call her that) sunning herself on a rock while the two Baby Bastards (you bet I'm going to call them that) played around with one another, all rolly-polly wrestling, up on their hind legs boxing one another, pushing, biting each other's tails. It was srsly omg cute.



woodchuck

I'm not going to shoot them. "Do you have a .22?" is the most common response from people when I tell them that I have woodchucks (a whole family of them now). I don't have a garden and they don't seem to be eating the shrubbery that I've planted. They are just too cute. If and when I have a garden and if they start grazing there, I probably would get a Have-a-heart trap and simply move them somewhere else. 

The wildlife at the house is crazy. An Eastern Phoebe has made a nest under the deck. Sean was mowing the lawn a couple of weekends ago and I saw a fox bounding up the hill in the back yarn. A young deer was eating something (???) from our driveway. Last night a procession of the biggest turkeys ever went across the back yard. We need to keep a running list of all the animals we see/hear.

And moths. Last year at about this time I saw a Luna Moth on the front door. I've been looking for another but saw this one instead:



Harnessed Tiger Moth

Pretty! It's a Harnessed Tiger Moth. After looking up what kind it is online, I wish it had opened up it's wings- there's orange under there.


3 comments:

Patricia said...

LMFAO! The names! Down here in NC they are big enough to feed a family of 6.

Anonymous said...

When we first noticed woodchucks in our pasture I asked our neighbor (who is your town's animal control person) if we could catch them, and his reply is "you could, but what are you going to do, release them on someone else's property and make them their problem?"

We attempt to kill them (unsuccessful so far) because the holes they make in the pasture are a big risk for the llama's (and sheep's) legs.

Anonymous said...

I thought I chose name/URL to make that comment, and not anonymous!