Monday

[cooking] Ice Cream


Homemade Ice Cream


Coffee Heath Bar Crunch. Or, more accurately, Espresso Skor Bar Crunch. The recipe is from the Ben & Jerry's Ice Cream recipe book. The expresso powder is from King Arthur Flour.

Homemade ice cream is amazing. Better than Ben & Jerry's. I use fresh, local eggs because we're eating them raw. In my stand mixer, I mix 2 eggs and add 3/4 cup of sugar, added a bit at a time. After minutes of beating/whipping, the eggs and sugar become a thick, custardy mixture. Then I add heavy cream, milk and two tablespoons of expresso powder. Mix, dump it into the ice cream maker and let it go for 20 - 30 minutes. Then add in finely chopped Skor bars at the end.

I've made plain vanilla ice cream using vanilla bean paste (also from KAF) because I love snowy white ice cream with flecks of vanilla beans (based purely on aesthetics, I don't care for the yellow-ish look of french vanilla ice cream). Also made Maple Grape-Nut ice cream. Dollar and I aren't super fans of Maple-Walnut and I saw the Grape-Nuts varient in the Ben & Jerry's recipe book. It's GREAT. 

No comments: