Tuesday

[knitting] The chunky streets of dean...

Made a couple quick hats using bulky yarn in my stash...

Dean Street Hat


Pattern: Chunky Dean Street Hat (rav link)

Yarn: Berroco Peruvia Quick, 1 skein

Needles: US 10

Notes: Accidentally made the Dean Street cable one extra row longer (because I can't count right). I used my own discretion for the decreases.

Didn't particularly enjoy working with this yarn. The combo of the bulky yarn and the stickiness of the wool made it a bit of a struggle to work on. But at least it was over quickly- this hat can be made in a couple hours. Very adorable on and the hat is pleasantly squooshy. This yarn is only 103 yards per skein and I think this is a good one-skein pattern for it. I ended with rought 2 or 3 yards leftover.

Now that I had the pattern down and I know that I wouldn't run out of yarn, I made another...

Dean Street Hat


Yarn: Misti Alpaca Chunky Solids, 1 skein

Notes: Same pattern (I got the cables right this time but still used my own decreases for the crown) and needles but the yarn was sooooo much better to work with. Smooth, soft, 100% alpaca makes this a much better hat.

I would recommend this pattern if you have a random skein of theses bulky yarns:

- Misti Alpaca Chunky Solids (100 grams, 108 yds)
- Plymouth Baby Alpaca Grande (100 grams, 110 yds)
- Cascade Baby Alpaca Chunky (100 grams, 108 yds)
- Malabrigo Chunky (100 grams, 104 yds)

100 yds of any bulky yarn would work but those would be my top choices to work with.

3 comments:

gayle said...

You always make the best hats! And with the weather lately, hats are very handy to have...

Sara said...

Great hats - I have to agree with gayle - you do make the coolest hats!

amy said...

Thanks so much for the compliment, ladies. I'm trying really hard to stash-bust this year. And hats seems to be the go-to project for all the random single skeins that I have.