Thursday

[knitting] Grrrr... Or whatever sound an alligator makes

Finished the alligator scarf for Dollar:

Alligator Scarf


Pattern: Morehouse Merino Alligator Scarf

Yarn: Misti Alpaca Tonos Worsted in Muir Woods. Used 2.1 skeins. I added a more repeats to the main body, so if you do the pattern as written, 2 skeins of this yarn would be enough.

Needles: US 7

Notes: I started this scarf last May. It was fun and interesting to work on, then it got to be incredibly tedious. Increasing for all those three-dimensional ridges just felt like I wasn't making much progress for how much knitting I was doing. But Dollar gave me the puppy dog eyes... And was all, "I can't wait to wear my scarf..." And I was like, "Who said this scarf was for you?"

Seriously, he just kind of assumed it was for him. So I made it long enough for the face to hang at chest level, the body wrapped around the neck once and the tail to hang at the same level as the face.

Alligator Scarf


The yarn was a good choice for this project. The tonal greens looks great and enhance the ridges/scales. It's 50% merino and 50% alpaca. I would like to try this pattern again with a 100% wool yarn to see the difference. I think that because of the alpaca, I couldn't close/bind-off the ridges as tight as I would have liked. But the softness of this scarf makes up for any lingering misgivings.

2 comments:

Sara said...

I have a friend who lives in NH - but is a gator fan - (U of Florida)

I'll bet she'd love that...

gayle said...

Love the scarf! But I can see where all those scaly bits would make you nuts.