Tuesday

[crochet] Obsessive - Compulsive Tunisian Short Row Dishcloths

Every now and then I find a pattern that I get obsessed about. Usually it's fast, easy and uses up all kinds of yarn in my stash. I cast on for this Tunisian Short Row Dishcloth and fell in love. (The scary, Fatal Attraction, never-leave-me-or-I'll-kill-you love.)

First, let me say that I'm no Tunisian crochet expert. I tried it out a bit when I first started messing around with knitting and crochet 5+ years ago. Tunisian crochet is interesting in that it's kind of like a mix of both- you're hooking one loop at a time, but keeping those loops on a long, smooth hook. Here's some basic instructions. You do need a special Tunisian/Afghan hook for this.

Here's the first one I made:

Tunisian Crochet


Kinda lopsided (it's supposed to be a hexagon) and the seam where I closed it up is quite noticeable. But I like it! The colors don't pool, the cloth is dense and there's no turning the work!

I tried again:

Tunisian Crochet


Much better. I focused on loosening up my tension and the seam where I closed the cloth isn't as noticeable or messed up.

The size difference between my first and second cloth is kind of amazing. The second is on the left and the first is one the right:

Comparing 1st and 2nd cloths


It's the same yarn and the same hook. The difference is tension. My first attempt was tight. I was much more relaxed for my second one. Crazy, right?

Comparing 1st and 2nd cloths


After my second one, I wanted to try different sizes. Both the pink and green ones above were 15 stitches. What if I made a smaller one with just 11 stitches?

Tunisian Crochet


Well, that was fast. Only took about an hour to do. Again!

Tunisian Crochet


What if I made 2 11-stitch dishcloths and did a single crochet around the outside to join them? To made it double-thick? Here's both sides of that cloth (more like a pot holder when it's that thick):

Tunisian Crochet


Tunisian Crochet


How about larger ones again? I'm getting pretty fast at making these...

Tunisian Crochet


Tunisian Crochet


I had to stop myself so that I didn't hurt my right wrist and elbow. I made all of those in one week. The pattern used a lot of variegated cotton yarn in my stash. I still haven't washed them yet, so I'm not sure how they'll shrink or if they'll lose shape. But I love them.

Stack o' Dishcloths


Once I go through making these again, I'll try to take step-by-step pictures and post a tutorial.

1 comment:

gayle said...

Wow! Those are way too pretty to use...
I saw the first picture before I read the post title, so I thought it was the top of a hat. Now I'm trying to figure out how to make a hat, keeping the same triangle sort of pattern. Interesting.