Tuesday

[knitting] Angora Irish Hiking Scarf

This feels like a doomed project to me. It started with what shouldn't have been so many balls of yarn:

Elizabeth Lavold angora


I bought several hanks of Elizabeth Lavold Angora on discount at Webs a long time ago. As I was winding them into balls, I encountered at least one knot in each hank that had to be cut out. I understand a knot here or there occasionally happens but a knot in every one of my hanks?

Boo.

The yarn sat around. I didn't really know what to do with it. Then I thought: What about the Irish Hiking Scarf? The cables will show with great relief when knit with this white yarn. And angora wrapped around my neck? It will be heaven.

Here's the thing: I am terrified of getting any kind of mark or spot on the project and will only work on it after washing my hands a dozen times. I'm worried that I have food on my clothes that will rub off onto the pristine white. I'm not slovenly, okay? Just... Uptight. When I'm not working on the scarf, it's hermetically sealed in a plastic bag along with the rest of the unused yarn.

If I'm such a psycho about getting the scarf dirty before it's even complete, when will I ever wear it? And how bad will I freak out when it inevitably gets a chocolate smear?

Let's worry about that when it (never, I hope) happens.

Because there are so many small balls of yarn to knit, I decided to wet splice the yarn ends since the technique worked so well for me on the Boku Striped Scarf. I snipped a short length of yarn, unplied the ends, snipped away half from each end, wet them with water, twisted them around each other and rubbed them together like I was trying to make fire. I let the final result dry and tried to pull it apart. It was fused. Yay- a positive splice test confirmed!

Until I actually started knitting and got to the next ball of yarn I wanted to use. I started to splice and realized it had five plies. But... the one I was working with had six plies. UGH! I started rifling through the yarn and sure enough- some balls have five plies and some have six plies.

See the thick-and-thinner of it for yourself. The bottom was knit with six plies, the top with five. See how it's narrower?

Irish Hiking Scarf


When I hold the scarf up to the light, the six-plied section is fuller and bouncier than the five-plied section, which is holier. Hole-ier. The stitches are more open.

Siiiigggghhh.

Blocking is the great redeemer- it will even things out in the end. And I'm sure no one will notice but me (and everyone who read this). In the meantime, I'll focus on how lovely this scarf is...

Irish Hiking Scarf


Irish Hiking Scarf


Seriously, though. I'm trying to justify in my head how this could happen. Like, maybe it's common. At the mill, one of the ply cones ran out and they didn't notice. But then, if yarn is sold by weight and many hanks are completely missing a ply... Would they notice the weight difference? Would there be a significant weight difference? Am I getting more yardage with the lighter version?

1 comment:

Joansie said...

I love the scarf and the yarn...well, what a bummer with all the problems. I'm a Vermont knitter also. Just started my new blog on Blogger after blogging for two years on 360 and encountering all sorts of problems.