Monday

[knitting] Stash enhancement

Saturday was a big shopping day. I drove an hour down to Keene, NH to hit all the craft and knitting stores. The first stop was Michaels.

[sigh] Michaels was awesome. So much better than Jo-Ann, although perhaps you can't compare the two because Jo-Ann is more about fabric. Michaels had so much wonderful stuff: aisles and aisles of beads, pictures, stamps, baskets, vases, yarn, etc etc. I was really only there to get Patons SWS. Everyone's been talking about it (and felting with it) and as far as I could tell, the only place to get it is at a Michaels craft store.

By the way, how do you say "Patons"? I always said "Pah-tons" (like cheerleaders twirling "bah-tons") but a woman at Michaels referred to the brand as "Pat'ns". Anyone?

When I first walked into the store, I looked for a flier to see what was on sale. I asked a clerk:

AMY: Excuse me, do you have any spare fliers I could have?

CLERK: For the coupon?

AMY: [pause] Yes.

CLERK: That's okay, I'll give you a coupon voucher at the register.

AMY: Oh thank you. [pause] And that's for...

CLERK: 40% off one regular priced item.

AMY: Okay, thank you.

Wheee, I love coupons. I ended up using it on The New Crewel by Katherine Shaughnessy. I'd like to get some plain window valences and do some crewel embroidery all along the bottom. Right now there are no, I repeat, no window decorations of any kind (other than blinds) in my home. Bo-ring.

At Michaels I got one ball of SWS in Natural Earth, one ball of Rumor in Hibiscus Heather and one ball of Lacette in Touch of Black.

SWS will probably be knit and felted down into a small cosmetics bag. It reminds me a lot of SWTC Karaoke.

Rumor is so big and soft and squishy, all I want to do is squeeze it and press it into my face. I don't think there's enough in this one ball for a hat, but I'll give it a try. If that doesn't work, I'm going to use it with like-colors to make a scarf.

Lacette is only so-so (it was an impulse purchase). It doesn't feel super great but I think I can make an elegant evening scarf with it. I'd like to knit it with beads to give it a little more weight/drape, since it's really quite light and airy.

But this was only the beginning of my stash enhancement...

1 comment:

nicole said...

I have always said Pa-tens, like the General. What's up with the "s"? I have always wanted it to be a possessive "s" not a plural "s." Thanks for the head's up on the new Patons yarns.