Tuesday

[knitting] Socks: The evolution


First sock (never knit it's mate- so sad): Basic pair from Socks Soar on Two Circulars



First PAIR of socks
Basic pair from Socks Soar on Two Circulars



My Second Pair
Creeping Vines from Townsend Socks Knitalong (Yahoo Group)


My third pair: Plain pair from Hand Book of Knitting Patterns
Dollar's socks. Will take a (mis-colored (DAMN THIS CAMERA) picture) soon.

Fourth pair: Whitby from On the Road
To be revealed soon. But they are done

Socktoberfest Questions

* When did you start making socks? Did you teach yourself or were you taught by a friend or relative? or in a class?
Christmas 2004. Taught myself (through much trail and error).

* What was your first pair? How have they "held up" over time?
I do wear my blue stripey and green lacey ones- whenever my feet are super chilly. They've held up fine, although I can't say I've washed them all that much (really, they're only on my feet for a few hours at a time). The nice thing about hand-knitted wool socks is that they don't stink. Ever. Really. They just smell like wool.

* What would you have done differently?
Nothing. Any errors I made I fixed. I first learned the Kitchener Stitch when grafting a toe closed. Actually, maybe I would have liked to have started out on something like "comfy house socks" or something on #5 needles. Starting on #2 was kind of tedious, after knitting everything else I made (scarves, hats) on beginner's #13 needles. You know what I mean? All knitters I know start out with #13 needles and super bulky yarn, because all the stitches are big and easy to see and projects knit up fast. There should be "beginner's socks".

* What yarns have you particularly enjoyed?
I liked the automatic thick stripes of my blue ones. Knit Picks Gloss has been nice. I haven't knit with anything too fine yet.

* Do you like to crochet your socks? or knit them on DPNs, 2 circulars, or using the Magic Loop method?
Used 2 circulars in the beginning but after recently doing two separately on douple-pointed needles, I think I prefer DPN's. It's more managable and portable. Easier to do the turning heel and gusset, too.

* Which kind of heel do you prefer? (flap? or short-row?)
Haven't tried short-row yet but I like the tailored look of the flap.

* How many pairs have you made?
4.5

1 comment:

Shelby said...

I've been thinking about getting some circs and trying the 2-circ method. I taught myself on DPN's, but the idea of being able to knit both socks at once on circs REALLY appeals to me.