Wednesday

[cooking] What is that? | Why can't I cook potatoes right?

I walked into the kitchen yesterday and saw a clear bag of something on the counter. "What is that?" I thought. "What- Are those potatoes? Chicken nuggets? What the-" Upon closer inspection, I saw that they were old fashioned donut holes. I have no idea where they came from but I could hazard a guess...

AMY: What are those?

DOLLAR: Donut holes.

AMY: Where did they come from?

DOLLAR: The middle of donuts.

AMY: Ha ha ha. Seriously, though.

DOLLAR: My sister.

AMY: She stopped by?

DOLLAR: Yeah.

AMY: Hmm... It kind of freaks me out when I see something I don't recognize in my kitchen. Is that totally psycho?

DOLLAR: Yes.

* * *

In other cooking matters, I cannot seem to roast/brown potatoes without them sticking to the pan. I'll use a spatula to try to get them to come off the bottom but then they rip. Soon, I'm left with broken potato pieces in the pan and I feel like throwing the food against the wall. I like to cook and I cook a lot and I know how to cook but this is the one thing that's really bothering me right now.

Example 1: Home fries. Chop potatoes in to large chunks, melt butter in pan over medium/medium high, throw in potatoes, stir to coat, leave alone for 10 minutes, try to turn, stick, rip, bits falling apart, get extremely frustrated.


Why can't I do this?


Example 2: Oven roasted herbed new potatoes. Chop in half, toss in bowl with olive oil and herbs, throw into roasting pan, roast at 400 for 40-50 minutes, shake/turn, everything looks good, cook for another 30 minutes, everything is stuck to pan. Not burned, just stuck to pan. Try to turn/move, potatoes rip. Get extremely frustrated.

I follow recipes, I swear. Boo hoo, boo hoo hoo hoo (this is me crying) boo hoo. Does anyone have a perfectly roasted potato recipe for me to try? I'm desperate.

5 comments:

scully said...

Seems like your method should work. My suggestion would be to look into new cooking trays. Maybe those airfoil ones that have a space in between that are designed to keep cookies from burning? Or maybe use a silpat? I love them for cookies, but I haven't tried them with potatoes.

Good luck!

Shelby said...

Yeah...are you using a really dark-surfaced pan, maybe? So that the oil cooks off faster than it should and thus isn't there to lube your potatoes up long enough?

Eww...potato lube...*giggles*

anyway - I say try a new pan, too. I have some basic Farberware non-stick ones that I got for Christmas which rock my little kitchen world.

amy said...

I've seen a couple recipes that say to cook the potatoes on a non-stick cookie sheet. I have a small Circulon skillet that I only use for eggs. I'll see how expensive Farberware and Circulon are at Amazon. I didn't want to have to get a new pan but sometimes the prices are so low...

Lisa said...

My roasted potatoes used to stick too, until I started putting my pan in the oven for a couple of minutes to get it nice and hot before putting the oiled up potatoes on it. That's a Tyler Florence trick. :)

Liz said...

Good old cast iron skillets work the best. I make roast taters all the time. Wicked Good Stuff!