Friday

[knitting] Harry Potter Gryffindor Scarf

I've finished knitting it! The only thing left to do is weave in ends, graft and block.



Graft. Yeah, I'm grafting the ends closed because I don't have enough yarn to make the fringe. I didn't even have enough yarn to make the required amount of repeats. Check out the pattern. See where it says 800 yards of main color? Well, I ordered 8 balls of Andean Silk thinking, "There are roughly 96 yards per ball so, worse comes to worse, I'll only be able to do 12 or 13 repeats total instead of 14." Yeah- NO. I was only able to do 10 repeats total! What the flipping frack is up with that? I used size 7 needles, cast on 90 stitches, I don't knit wicked loose or anything... Seriously, what's up with that?

The only advice I can give is: If you're ordering/using Andean silk, order 10-11 balls of the main color. [As for the mustard color, carrying the yarn up the inside presumably saved me much yarn- I hardly used any of the second yellow ball.]

So what to do? Well, I grafted the end closed:



No fringe for me. Which is fine. I used a provisional cast-on for no apparent reason (I re-read the pattern instructions and nowhere does it say to use a provisional cast-on) but it'll work out in the end because I can close it up with a kitchener stitch. All's well in the end. And when I block it, I'll try to pull it into a longer length. Gah. This scarf... I don't know...

2 comments:

Margot said...

Beautiful Scarf! Love the colors and Andean Silk must be soooo soft.

I made two with 100% wool last year, and they blocked longer very easily. I'm sure yours will too.

luv2stitch said...

Your scarf is beautiful. I'm working on a Ravenclaw and I'm running into the same yarn shortage. The 800 yds. has got to be a typo because no way is it enough. I can't believe that no one else has mentioned this shortage. I won't be able to do fringe on mine either. I used Highland Wool from Elann.