Saturday

[books] What’s Michael?

I’ve updated my book list to the left. A while ago I ordered the 9th volume of What’s Michael? on a lark. I had read somewhere that it's pretty funny and if you like cats, you'll love it. I got it from Amazon, read it all in one sitting (laughing my ass off) and proceeded to order every copy of What's Michael? that Amazon had available (volumes 5-8). I got them and read all those in one sitting as well. It's really, really, wicked funny.

In a recent What's Michael? story I read in Super Manga Blast, a local head cat (think "The Godfather") is trying to decide who he's going to appoint as his successor. He thinks of Jiro, "But no, Jiro's got the catnip problem." He wonders about Catzilla, "But she's a girl. Can't have a girl, that's just the rules." Finally, he wonders about another male cat and says, "No. He got fixed, went soft." And it shows a cute cat jumping up after a butterfly, with a smile on his face.

I haven't been able to find too many panels online, but there is one about Michael playing with a ribbon. He happens to get his claw snagged in it and he can't seem to shake it off. Then Michael performs the following. Eventually the ribbon falls off and Michael walks away. Just like a cat. Here's what someone says about it:

"The genius of Kobayashi's What's Michael? is that he's able to take such a simple premise and make it so amazingly funny. I'd never consider myself a cat-lover, but there's something really amusing about the situations that Kobayashi comes up with. Something as simple as Michael's food being eaten by the other cats can make one laugh—or something absurd as a parody of "The Fugitive" where the doctor can't keep himself from stopping and helping people with simple cat care. It's extremely silly, but there's something wonderfully universal about Michael's escapades that almost anyone can relate to."

I highly recommend any book in the series. It's funny and all the cats are so fucking cute.

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

Ohmigod, you friggin' cat-people. I'm sorry, it's just my honest arrgh-ness that must be expressed.
-Sully, of course

BTW, how's the 9/11 report coming? I got a copy a little while back, and I was just burning through some lighter stuff before I hit such a depressing tome. Does it move alright, or is it a bit dry? Just wondering, I'll still read it either way.

amy said...

The 9/11 Commission Report is a well-paced, interesting read. Not dry at all. In fact, it's nominated for this year's National Book Award (non-fiction). I'm not too too far into it. I find I can only read a little at a time, then I have to switch to something less nightmare-inducing. So far, I've learned:

1. No gov't agency had their shit together on 9/11. Except maybe the FAA, when it gounded all the planes.
2. NORAD is a fucking liar.
3. On 9/11, Cheney said that if anymore planes come near D.C., shoot 'em down. He swears he got the authority of the Prez before making the call, but I think we all know who wears that pants in that relationship.
4. Cheney's a fucking troll.
5. Bin Laden hates Americans.
6. Like, seriously hates us all for no apparent good reason.
7. I'm scared.

Yeah, that's about it. I can't wait to read more!

amy said...

The 9/11 Commission Report is a well-paced, interesting read. Not dry at all. In fact, it's nominated for this year's National Book Award (non-fiction). I'm not too too far into it. I find I can only read a little at a time, then I have to switch to something less nightmare-inducing. So far, I've learned:

1. No gov't agency had their shit together on 9/11. Except maybe the FAA, when it gounded all the planes.
2. NORAD is a fucking liar.
3. On 9/11, Cheney said that if anymore planes come near D.C., shoot 'em down. He swears he got the authority of the Prez before making the call, but I think we all know who wears that pants in that relationship.
4. Cheney's a fucking troll.
5. Bin Laden hates Americans.
6. Like, seriously hates us all for no apparent good reason.
7. I'm scared.

Yeah, that's about it. I can't wait to read more!