I used this recipe. I read a few different recipes, so I knew when it said "simmer very slowly until pith is translucent" that it would take a while. Two hours of simmering for this batch.
The rinds after draining off the syrup (which I save in a jar):
After rolling them around in sugar:
Kind of clumpy. I let them dry out in the open over night and then rolled them around on a cookie sheet with my hand to knock a lot of the excess sugar off. I left them out all day to continue drying and then put them all into a large mason jar to store.
While the peels were boiling, I used my mandolin to slice up 4 lbs of oranges for marmalade.
You know what's not easy? Slicing whole oranges with a mandolin. But I put on my infinity gauntlet oven mitt to protect my hand and away I went. The bowl above is oranges (the jelly bag contains some peels and pulp from oranges I juiced) and 6 cups of water, which I left in the fridge overnight. Using the ratios in this recipe, the next day I added the contents of the bowl (I removed the jelly bag) plus six more cups of water plus 9 cups of sugar (OMGGGGGGGG) and boiled away for three hours.
The finished marmalade: 10 half-pint jars, processed in boiling water and everything:
It sent up kind of on the hard side (I did the frozen plate test repeatedly- and I think I waited too long) but it's fantastic. I've been enjoying it on cheese and crackers, mixed into yogurt, with peanut butter on toast.
Now that I have oranges preserved a couple way, I can take my time thinking of creative ways to use them. At the moment, I love the idea of a dark chocolate/candied orange peel loaf of bread and baked brie en croute with a layer of marmalade between the brie and pastry wrap.