Friday

[embroidery] The Sun Sets on Sunbonnet Sue

I have a book of iron-on Sunbonnet Sue redwork embroidery patterns that I'd like to add to kitchen towels or placemats.

Sunbonnet Sue


I Googled a bit on the history of this stitch icon. Her little masked face has been around for a looooong time. She's a good little girl who does wholesome, quotidian tasks. Of course, when I see a scene of her with a tray of drinks, I want to stitch it but also caption it with "I got my drink n my 2 step" or some other lyrics about getting yo drank on.

Ha ha ha, I think. Surely I'm the first person to ever think of mixing a little topical humor with this traditional motif.

No. I found something that is so horribly awesome, so dark and funny, so dismal and ironic- I don't even want to execute my idea anymore because it will never be as good. I present The Sun Sets on Sunbonnet Sue.

I love this quilt so much. I want to fly to Michigan just to see this quilt in person.

sue1
sue2


Sue. Poor poor Sue. My favorite is Sunbonnet Sue-icide because the stitching on the white around the body gives the illusion of swinging. Genius!

Anyway, if you take offense- sorry for the gloomy material on a Friday (TGIF!) but I think it's a good example of feminism and commentary on the time.

1 comment:

Noreen said...

Oh my....I am in Michigan...I should find this quilt, somehow...It's pretty amazing!