Monday

[cooking] Smørrebrød

Was in DC last week and visited a restaurant called Compass Rose. Their specialty seems to be cuisine from all over the world. I found this restaurant after reading about khachapuri being a possible food trend this year. From Georgia (the country, not the state) it is simply a bread boat baked with cheeses, butter and a runny egg. Now that I've seen and tried one, I can definitely recreate it at home for much less than the $14 price tag.

I also tried smørrebrød, a Danish open-face sandwich. I love me a good open face sandwich and this was no exception:

Smørrebrød


Their version had house cured steelhead trout, dill-caper remoulade, trout roe, rye bread, flowers. This was fantastic. I came home and had to get some fixings to make my own.

My Sunday morning simplified smørrebrød:

Smørrebrød at home


Toasted marbled rye. Caper-dill-lemon juice mayo. Hard-boiled egg, mini shrimp, radish. Garnished with sprouts. This was so good. It also can't be too unauthentic- a Danish person on Instagram liked it.

Speaking of Scandinavian sandwiches, I also have a secret obsession with smörgåstårta, Swedish sandwich cake. I know it looks like it's straight out of a 1970's cooking nightmare but it's all the components for a sandwich... in a cake. What's not to like? I keep hinting to King Arthur Flour that they should do this on their blog but I think Americans hate the look of it. Whhhyyy? Look at these sandwich cakes. As someone who would choose savory over sweet 9/10 times, I know one of these cakes is in my future.

No comments: