Thursday

[spinning] Grey Wind

I joined Team Iron Throne in the Nerd Wars tournament on Ravelry. For three months, challenges are posts in various categories (charity, scientific, technical, etc). Team members complete challenges to earn points and if you can tie the project to your team's theme, you earn extra points. There are lots of different teams based on various nerdy interests: video games (Team 1-Up), Buffy the Vampire Slayer (Team Hellmouth), Lord of the Rings (Team Precious). My team is for fans of the Song of Ice and Fire series.

My dissertation (three-month-long) project is to spin 3 pounds of grey wool into a 2-ply worsted weight. 

Spinning project

That's a lot of wool. I bought it so long ago, I can't even remember when- but I know it was at the VT Sheep and Wool when it was still held in Essex Jct.

I am using my Spinner's Control Card to make sure that all my singles are spun the same size:

Spinning project

I plied and washed a small skein to figure out wraps-per-inch:

Grey WInd

Grey Wind

Now I just have to spin it all. I'm calling the project Grey Wind, because that's the name of Robb Stark's direwolf in the series. In the end, I should have more than enough yarn to make a sweater or even a blanket. Or a big, stuffed direwolf?

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

WOW! Thats it, just WOW!