Monday

[cooking] Blueberries

Last fall we planted 3 blueberry bushes in the back yard. One is doing much better than the other two, but all a producing some berries:

Blueberry bush in the back yard

I was able to pick nearly a pint:

Blueberries

I decided to make a shrub. I did a lazy shrub- mashed the berries with sugar, added a bit of water, then apple cider vinegar. I put the jar into the fridge and shook it up periodically until all the sugar was dissolved. After three days I stained it through a jelly bag and put the liquid into a bottle. 

The first drink I made was a bit of shrub, a bit of vodka, some club soda. I was tasty with a hint of vinegar taste and smell. The taste isn't so much a problem, for me it was the whiff of vinegar that came off the top of the drink- I couldn't help bit smell it with every sip.

From what I've read, the shrub mellows over time. I'll see how the shrub is after another week in the fridge. 

2 comments:

Boozyknits said...

Wow, I've never heard of a "shrub". I'll have to try it. Did you acidify the soil before planting the blues?

amy said...

I regularly sprinkle my used coffee ground around the base of the bushes to up the acidity of the soil. But I didn't do anything to the soil before planting them.