Wednesday

[knitting] Handspun Zen Mittens

One of my craft-y goals for 2012 is to knit 50% of all my projects with my own handspun. I spin yarn that I love and hold and pet... then I put it into a bag. I have two gigantic plastic zip bags full of my handspun. I keep adding to it but I don't use it. WHY?! It make no sense. So, I'm using it up, one skein at a time.

Here's the crazy, three-ply that I spun last year:

Morph

Morph

I remember I was more than a little "meh" about the finished yarn. But as I worked up a pair of mittens, the colors really worked together:

Zen mittens

And the finished mittens?

Handspun Mittens

LOVE. lovelovelovelovelovelovelove! They aren't twinsies but any means but they are so great- so soft, so colorful. I'm so happy with that quick and satisfying project this is, that I've started another pair of handspun mittens. 

I used the basic mitten pattern from Ann Budd's book The Knitter's Handy Book of Patterns. I kitchener'd closed the last 8 stitches at the top of each mitten because the pointy top didn't feel right when I had the mittens on.

1 comment:

gayle said...

I've been watching your handspun all this time, dying to know what it would look like knitted up. I'm so glad you're going to be doing that!
Love those mittens! The colors just dance and sing, don't they?