Tuesday

[knitting] Wisp, with a kind-of matching hat

Wisp


Yarn: Noro Kureyon Sock, one ball, color #229, purchased at Country Woolens in Lebanon, NH.

Needles: US 8

Pattern: Wisp

Mods: I omitted the buttons and button holes. I feel lucky that the colors lined up fairly well with the bars of fishnet lace and garter rows of the scarf, but I could fudge the row numbers here and there to ensure that the colors would stay in pattern. I used my blocking wires for the first time with this project. Lemme tell you, I'm thinking about not using them ever again because kneeling on a hardwood floor for more than an hour, sliding a thin metal rod over and under every stupid garter stitch along the edge was the epitome of NOT FUN. I would do 30 stitches, SIGH, slide the stitches, move the rod, SIGH, move a little to the left, curse my throbbing knees and aching back, SIGH, start the next 30 stitches and try not to think about the fact that I haven't even completed a third of the scarf.

And the yarn? I don't think I'll be buying it again. It was very sticky wool and would twist back around on itself. Which was frustrating. I washed the scarf before blocking and added LOTS of hair conditioner to soften the wool.

Anyway... I'm working on a hat to go with the scarf. Here's how they look together...

Scarf and hat set?


They're not the same colorway or even brand of yarn, but they both had similar jewel tones. The hat has really amazed me, though, to see the colors in the ball and the stripes that they are working up into. I'm pleasantly surprised.

No comments: