Wednesday

[knitting] Turkish-Patterned Cap

Here's a finished hat, ready for a cold winter:

Turkish Patterned Cap


Pattern: Turkish-Patterned Cap

Source: Hats On! by Charlene Schurch

Yarn: Valley Yarns Northampton, Light Gray (one ball, with leftovers) and Dark Gray (two balls, with leftovers)

Needles: US #4

Size Made: Large

Mods: I didn't do the braided cast-on, since I read that it curled up in some cases. I also read that the sizes came out really, really large. Theoretically, this shouldn't have been a problem if you got the gauge specified in the pattern but a lot of people had trouble getting gauge. I just decided to wing it on US #4 needles.

And because I knew the hat would probably be too large, I decided to knit a lining, to make the hat double thick. I provisionally cast on 10% fewer stitches in dark gray, knit one round, increased up to the correct count of stitches for the Large size, knit two rounds, purled one round (for a nice hem) and then started the colorwork.

After completing the outside of the hat, I took out the provisional stitches and knit a plain stockinette liner, making sure to weave in all the ends I needed to before closing up the hat for good.

Turkish Patterned Cap


Then just push the dark gray liner up into the hat and wah-lah:

Turkish Patterned Cap


One note about the pattern as-written in the book. There's some confusion about the decreases for the crown- if you follow the directions, your crown won't look like the picture in the book. For every single decrease you must move your stitch marker back one stitch. Thank goodness for Ravelry.

My crown:

Turkish Patterned Cap


The only thing I didn't particularly like about this pattern is how rapidly the crown is decreased and closed. It looks puckered. I like a nice, smooth, rounded hat top.

This might be the warmest, squishiest hat I've ever knit.

1 comment:

Angela said...

I like it!

(Except I don't think it would look as nice if I knit the liner.)