Saturday

[misc] Meme

I was tagged so here I go...

1. What was I doing 10 years ago...

Let's see. May 1998. That would be college. I would be home from college at this point, working a summer job. Either as a sales clerk at JC Penny (in Home Fashions- I can tell you anything you need to know about sheet thread count or why big puffy bath towels are not a good investment), or assembling geotechnical instrumentation at a small company in Lebanon (I can tell you anything you need to know about load cells or piezometers) or at the Dartmouth Flood Observatory (I can tell you why you shouldn't move to Bengladesh). I can't remember which job I had at the time.

2. What are five things on my to-do list today...

Practice spinning on my new spinninng wheel. Check.

Move furniture. Check. (Dollar might contest this. He did the actual "moving" of furniture up and down the stairs; I just removed books and clothes from the nightstand and dresser.)

Cook the beef short ribs in the fridge. Check.

Sort out, pay and file away bills. Check.

Knit more on a pair of socks. Not yet, but soon. After dinner, while Dollar and I are watching Battlestar.

3. Snacks I enjoy...

Fruit: Cherries. Raspberries. Peaches. Grapes. Apples. I buy oranges but never eat them because they're too much f'ing work.

For salty, I like chips or popcorn.

4. Places I've lived...

Vermont, Massachusetts, England, Vermont.

5. Five things I would do if I was a billionaire...

Spend money. Spend money like it's going out of style. Like it's no one's business but my own. Houses (with dream kitchens) in Vermont and Alaska. Boats. Motorcycles (Vespas and Ducatis). All the guitars in the world for Dollar. I would buy couture clothes and give them to homeless people in NYC to wear so that the fashionistas would see homeless people wearing the same $4000 sweater as them.

Just an aside to talk about status symbols: Everyone was selling and everyone was carrying a Louis Vuitton bag in Korea. They're all fake, of course, but it made me realize that if EVERYONE had a fake LV bag, why would anyone spend $4,000 on a real one? Everyone is just going to assume it's a fake. I wonder if the Koreans have effectively destroyed conspicuous consumption by succumbing to it so completely.

No comments: