Thursday

[amy] Living the good life... wasted.

What day is it? Thursday? How is everyone doing? I'm exhausted. No rest for the wicked. I mean, no rest for the weary. What have I been doing that's making me so exhausted? Well I can tell you it ain't knitting- hahahahah- *cough* *cough* Yeah, I got nothing.

So knitting. I made a plain black hat with a hemmed edge for Adam. His birthday was this past Sunday so I gave it to him at a party on Saturday. He seems to like it and I see him wearing it around everywhere. Then I knit a Christmas present hat for someone (that only took about 5 hours). I also started a green scarf from a bunch of various balls of yarn from my stash. I'm really pleased with how it's coming out- kind of hobo/gypsy/vagabond looking. I also like that it's knitting up EXTREMELY fast on size 13 needles. I may give the scarf as a Christmas present- if I can bare to let it go.

So reading. I read Alex Robinson's Tricked. Very good- kind of a spin-off of Box Office Poison. I don't know what to read next. I've sent out the emails to get the votes in for the January 2006 uvBookClub selection, so that's cool, but in the meantime I'm wandering around my place picking up an unread book, trying it out, tossing it aside, picking up another book, giving up, picking up another book, etc.

So tv. I finished Season 1 of Desperate Housewives. That show was so stupid. I'm currently finishing up Season 4 of Gilmore Girls. I'm moderately tired of this show, but can't seem to stop watching it. I want to see Lost, but it's been at the top of my queue since it was released (September? October?), but it always says "Long Wait". Whatevs. Maybe I should quit with these tv shows and start watching obscure art house films and talk about them in a pretentious manner. That would make me feel smart.

Cooking-wise, I made some gratin potatoes last night to bring to a uvScene potluck meeting. This recipe was insanely easy. I'm not joking. The grocery store was out of crème Fraiche, so I just used heavy cream instead. Also, the gruyere was too expensive ($10 for a little block), so I went and got a stack of swiss cheese from the deli counter. Here's all I did: peeled potatoes, used my mandolin to slice them all up the same thickness in under 3 minutes, *layered half into a dish, salt pepper, pour cream, slice stack of cheese, break apart (no shredding!) and sprinkle, repeat from * for another layer. Bake. Fast, easy, cheap- just like me!

What else can I talk about to make it seem like I'm living life to the fullest? I put together a couple Stave puzzles, I've re-discovered how much I love sipping Disaronno on the rocks, I've been sampling seasonal/special beers from Unibroue: Quelque Chose (cherries and spice- YUM!), a special 2005 beer and a cherry flavored Ephemere (which I have in the fridge but am saving for a special occation. Or a Thursday night. Either way.). Also, I've been... uh... There was... I went to... No, that's it. I basically just putter around my place and get wasted. Shit.

3 comments:

Nicole said...

TV shows are the way to go, except for Desperate Housewives, which makes me want to hurt someone. Someone named Eva Longoria. Fuck.

If you haven't already, try the Wire or Freaks & Geeks or Firefly or Undeclared. All are Big Sister approved.

amy said...

The Wire: Check. 5 Stars.

Freaks & Geeks: Check. 5+ Stars (Haverchuck is my favorite, too!)

Firefly: Check. 3.5 Stars. (I wasn't into it for some reason, but I did just knit a Jayne Cobb hat.)

Undeclared: ... Haven't watched it but considering your other recommendations, I'm going to have to now.

nicole said...

The Wire and F&G are definitely 5 stars, but you are close to my target with Firefly. It was good, but not amazing. Undeclared is great if only for all of the F&G cameos.