Thursday

Out of it, but not color blind

I had my weekly Stitch ‘n Bitch last night. This is only our second meeting and initially I thought it was a get-together to knit and (literally) bitch about something. In reality, we knit and talk and maybe learn a new pattern/technique. Last night we were over at Chris’ place because her husband (Matt) had just had orthoscopic surgery on his right shoulder. He sat on the couch in a percocet haze, saying things that didn’t make sense.

Inexplicably, Chris let him answer the phone all evening. I told her that it’s probably telemarketers calling and they’d end up with 400 different magazine subscriptions, but she wasn’t worried. When Jeremy and Katie showed up, both Matt and Chris said, “What are you guys doing here? I didn’t know you were coming…” Katie said, “Uh… We told Matt on the phone that we were coming over…” Matt, still delighted to see them, says, “You did? Wow…” Yeah, it was that kind of evening.

It wasn’t an all-girl evening, by any means. Jason came over to keep Matt company (even though a lamp could have kept Matt entertained for hours) but Jason ended up making fun of him. Example: “Hey Matt, can you open up this bag of Tootsie Pops for me?” Matt’s arm is bound to his side for the next month. He can barely lift a pencil in his right hand. Jason asks what color Tootsie Pop Matt wants and Matt says, “I think I saw a green one in there.” I laugh to myself and shake my head as I keep knitting. Poor Matt. He’s so out of it. There’s no such thing as a green Tootsie Pop. Miraculously, Jason pulls out a green one, unwraps it and passes it to Matt. Oh. Uh… Must be a new favor…

No comments: