Wednesday

Look out! He's swimming straight for us!

I didn't even know you can shoot fish in Vermont. My great state never fails to amaze me. Here's a "sport" for all those hill-billy Vermonters that can't wait until Fall to shoot something. I have to say, I don't see how shooting fish is a sport. There's the risk it might blow up, you have to wade into the water to get it, etc etc. Hey, I have an idea: why not use a fishing pole? Huh? I mean, you can bring the fish right to you that way.

I'm going to have to ask all my male cousins if they've heard of this. I'm fairly sure they don't actually do this themselves. Although if I bring it up, a lightbulb might go off in their heads...

1 comment:

Bill said...

When I was a kid I used to fish in the Syracuse, NY area at a place called Seneca Marina that was so full of fish that using live bait off the pier, you could easily catch a fish every ten minutes. It was a great place to learn how to fish because if you ever got frustrated with your lures, you could throw a worm on the hook and presto, you had a fish!

So one day as my friends and I were getting ready to leave, I chucked a big rock out into the middle of the marina. A moment later, a large catfish floated to the surface where the rock had splashed. We were amazed and I picked up a smaller rock and threw it at the floating fish. It "woke up" and swam away. I had apparently stunned the thing. !

Anyway, I love the photo with that NYT article. And the guy has got such a Vermont name. "Hey Paquette! Noice shotgun, touchole!"