Two ply on the left (bulky weight), chain-plied leftovers on the right. Close-up:
The fiber is by Into the Whirled but I've lost the original bag, so I'm not sure the fiber or colorway name. So I'll treat it as NOT superwash. The large skein will probably be a hat or mittens. The little skein will probably end up a pouch or something.
###
I tried a package of Beyond Beef last night and it was genuinely horrific. I knew it was going to be bad as soon as I touched it. I got a 1lb package of the ground "beef". I planned to use it for tacos. It would be fine in tacos, right?
Wrong. I grabbed a handful of the meat to put into a pan to brown and it felt wrong- lots of hard bits. Like if you grabbed a handful of chunky peanut butter- you'd feel all those hard peanut bits. They were white, to emulate fat marbling, so it felt like... broken up teeth were in the mix, I don't know. I didn't like it.
So I'm browning it and the smell is bad. It made the whole kitchen smell awful. But I add the taco seasoning and we carry on and make tacos. Maybe all the other accouterments will mask the meat. Nope. We couldn't even eat it and now we're extra resentful for this faux meat ruining tacos, which we patently adore.
I've made tacos with ground beef, ground turkey, a homemade vegan lentil mixture. We've liked it all. This stuff was so fake and processed and what even are these ingredients? I prefer to cook/make food with whole, recognizable ingredients.
Hang on, I don't want to be a hypocrite- I eat processed food. Cheese Doodles? Love 'em. Tater-tots? Sure. Ramen? You know it. But I buy them infrequently. I guess I should say I won't be buying Beyond Beef again- it's not for us. We're lucky where we live; I can buy local, tasty, ethically-raised meat. It's more expensive, so we don't have it every night. I find a way to make what we like without meat (the lentil tacos, bean burritos, veggie pizza, etc). Either eat meat or don't. I don't understand the "I want a vegan burger that bleeds" mentality.


No comments:
Post a Comment