Monday

[cooking] Chocolate Babka

King Arthur Flour's bakalong challenge for the month of April is chocolate babka. And it was pretty easy!

Yesterday's babka for breakfast. #kingarthurflour #bakealong #chocolatebabka

I mixed up all the ingredients in my stand mixer and then moved the dough to the oven to rise.

Chocolate Babka

I divided the dough in half and rolled each out just larger than a silpat mat. Then I smeared the butter/sugar/cocoa mixture and sprinkled chopped chocolate chips:

Chocolate Babka

Then I rolled them up and cut lengthwise:

Chocolate Babka

The twisting took a little finagling:

Chocolate Babka

Two loaves, ready for a final rise (the one of the left was my first attempt):

Chocolate babka, into pans for a final rise. #kingarthurflour #bakealong #chocolatebabka

An hour later, nice and puffy:

Chocolate Babka

After baking:

Chocolate Babka

Chocolate Babka

So I had a slice (or two) and then my cold/flu kicked into high gear Sunday. I started to feel a little off at the end of last week- working with students all week, getting their germs. Sigh. By Sunday afternoon, I couldn't taste or smell anything (I made soup for supper- NO idea how it tasted) and I was having chills shooting down my spine any time I came out from underneath blankets. 

I cut up both loaves into individual slices and put each slice into a separate sandwich bag and stacked them all in the freezer. The plan is to just pop a frozen slice into the toaster as needed. I have no appetite because I can't taste anything and I'm not going to waste the babka. Hopefully now this sweet bread should last for weeks.

No comments: