Thursday

[travel] Joshua Tree National Park

Because I was going to be so close to Joshua Tree National Park, I rented a car to drive over and check it out. I went in the south Cottonwood entrance from I-10:

Joshua Tree National Park

I stopped by the visitor center to pick up some souvenirs and a national parks passport book. Joshua Tree was my first stamp!

Joshua Tree National Park

I stopped at the cholla cactus garden:

Joshua Tree National Park

Joshua Tree National Park

This lizard was very nice and posed for pictures for me:

Joshua Tree National Park

I think it's a desert side-blotched lizard.

Eventually I made it far enough north in the park to start seeing Joshua Trees:

Joshua Tree National Park

Not sure what kind of cactus this is:

Joshua Tree National Park

This is a mojave yucca. These were everywhere:

Joshua Tree National Park

Mounds of smooth rock outcrops were near the road. People were climbing all over these:

Joshua Tree National Park

More trees.

Joshua Tree National Park

The tips of the green poofs are needle sharp.

Joshua Tree National Park

Here's a crow on a young Joshua Tree:

Joshua Tree National Park

I stopped at Barker Dam to walk a quick 1 mile loop around. 

Joshua Tree National Park

Since I didn't have much time, I was power walking as fast as possible. I started a little white-tailed antelope squirrel:

Joshua Tree National Park

 I stopped and it came a bit closer:

Joshua Tree National Park

So cute. 

Finally a couple panoramic shots. This is from the Cottonwood area of the park, where the view was more flat and expansive:

Joshua Tree National Park

This is from the north-western area of the park, where there were more rocky areas and Joshua Trees.

Joshua Tree National Park

I loved this park. It wasn't crowded and it was really beautiful. I saw plants and animals I've never seen before. The passport book for national parks and places will be fun to fill with stamps. It's not only for the big parks- there are a couple places close to me where I can get stamps (Billings Farm, Saint-Gaudens).

1 comment:

Unknown said...

The cactus you couldn't identify is also a cholla. There are different varieties. The ones in the cholla garden are Teddy Bear cholla.