Friday

[misc] Santana Friday

Santana


Her face looks like those cat wall clocks with eyes that go back-and-forth each second.

As I was paying after my tire change yesterday, I asked them a question. Now, I always wear my seatbelt. I don't actually feel comfortable in the car without it on. But there is a sensor in my car that detects when someone is in the passenger seat and if they don't hook their seatbelt, an alarm beep-beep-beeps every 30 seconds. There have been two instances when someone was in the passenger seat and didn't wear a seatbelt for .7 miles of 5mph driving on a dirt road. I would prefer everyone in the car wear a seatbelt because I don't want anyone going headfirst through the windshield. But, the passengers got super annoyed by the beeping and, like, annoyed with me for the beeping since it was my car. So I asked the service center (this is at the dealership where I bought the car), "Is there any way to deactivate this beeping if someone chooses not to wear a seatbelt?" 

Everyone behind the counter stopped what they were doing and looked at me like I asked, "Do you all know where I can get a lot of cheap heroin?" I was ashamed. I tried to backpedal and be like, "It's... it's not ME- I always wear my seatbelt. I just... Someone asked... And... And..."

They were all, "You don't WANT to deactivate it. You CAN'T deactivate it. You're a horrible PERSON. Why do you want to KILL people?" Pretty much, anyway. And I honestly wonder if what I asked them was illegal. I don't think the question is illegal (hopefully?), but maybe the action of deactivating it would be. I don't know, I just got out of there before they could call the cops on me. 

2 comments:

gayle said...

When those alarms were first added to cars, I had a friend who was nearly driven crazy by the beeping when she had bags of groceries on the seat. The car didn't differentiate between the weight of a person and the weight of canned goods. She finally just latched the seatbelt, with nothing restrained by it, and that seemed to satisfy the car...

amy said...

Yeah, one person there actually looked left, looked right, and whispered to me, "If they don't want to wear the seatbelt, just have them hook it behind them and sit back against it." Which made me feel stupid in addition to ashamed- that idea never even occurred to me.