Wednesday

[books] 5 Colleges Book Sale

My sister and I went to the 5 Colleges Book Sale at Lebanon College on Saturday morning. We arrived 10 minutes before the doors opened and there were already a couple hundred people waiting in line. My sister had never been but I knew it was a kill-or-be-killed type of atmosphere.

Once inside, you're handed a map and off you go, running to the section(s) that you want. I went to Crafts/Hobbies first and everyone moves around the table, grabbing books like this. Lots of hands snatching and grabbing titles from right in front of you. It's psycho for the first hour or so, and then things simmer down to where you can actually open up a book, look it over and make a sensible decision on whether or not you'd like to purchase it. 

Anyway, I'm pretty pleased with what I got. I mostly got crafts books- how to tat, cross-stitching, embroidery. I picked up this one gem and it's my favorite:

Funk & Flash

Not a pattern or instructional book, just pictures and anecdotes about embroidery and misc crafts from 1970's San Francisco. Just look at this guy:

Crochet Dude

And this girl's satin-stitch shirt:

70s Crewel Embroidery

That's a bed sheet that she sewed all over. Why a bed sheet? Well, I think options are limited when you're serving a two-year jail sentence for smuggling hash in Europe. Seriously! That's the description next to this picture! Another picture showed two women selling ice cream- which is what they do when they're not working in a hash pipe factory. Seriously! 

Anyway, that book... what a gem. 

After drop-kicking a couple old ladies and taking the craft books out of their limp hands, I headed over to the Fiction room to look at the SciFi books. I found The Mists of Avalon, some Ursula K. LeGuin short stories and a two volume set of the first five books in the Chronicles of Amber series by Roger Zelazny.

Awesome SciFi books

I'm hoping this book (Lavender-Green Magic) has a cat that can shoot headlights out of it's eyes.

Laser Eyes

Apparently I'll buy any book that has some kind of cat on the cover.

It was a good sale. I think people go insane because most of the books are out-of-print and they can resell their haul on eBay.


No comments: