Thursday

[knitting] Red Cabled Mittens

I pulled 4 skeins of Malabrigo Merino Worsted from my stash and wound them into balls. The grand plan was to knit a matchy-matchy set of mittens, hat and scarf. I finished the mittens:

Mittens

Pattern: Eugenia's Mittens (rav link)

Needles: US 7

Yarn: Malabrigo Merino Worsted, Ravelry Red, 60% of one skein

Notes: Good pattern- clear instructions and charted. I opted not to re-created the "mistake" that author made and did three full repeats of the chart instead.

One of the great things about participating in Nerd Wars on Ravelry is that the various challenges they post every month make you think outside of the box. One challenge asked you to use something unusual or non-traditional when crafting a project. This could be making a drop spindle from a CD or knitting something with a couple pencils/chopsticks. I was kind of at a loss... until I saw one of my asian pears. They usually come wrapped in a puffy net sleeve to protect from bruising. Have you ever seen yarn sleeves? They are plastic mesh tubes that hold your yarn together as you use it. My pear-protector is the same thing! 

Mittens

It worked really well! 

No comments: